onsdag 27. oktober 2010

Good old multi-purpose Sophie the Giraffe

Product name: Sophie the Giraffe (Vulli Sophie the Giraffe Teether)

What is it?A rubber giraffe that makes a funny sound when squeezed or chewed. According to a baby magazine I read, this is the most popular teething toy among celebrities’ children for the moment and, invented in France in 1961, it must be one of the oldest toys still available on the market!
Why did it catch my attention?To be honest, this was one of the few things I have bought because ‘everybody else has it’
How old was my baby when I bought it?3,5 months – it arrived today (27.10.2010) and very quickly made big success!
What value does it add for us?This is the first toy that my son has been able to grab with both hands and put in his mouth  - which is great for his developing eye-hand-coordination. He also seems to find the combination of Sophie’s bright face with clear contrasts and the squeaky sound incredibly entertaining. The slim legs and neck makes it easy to attach to play mats, baby carriers and cots and because it is made from rubber it is not fragile at all and easy to bring along anywhere
What does it replace?Anything a baby can safely chew when teething, but since my son has not started teething yet it is more of a combined mobile (when attached somewhere above his head) and a toy to stimulate eye-hand-coordination
How did my baby respond to it?This was an immediate success! Big laugh and eagerly kicking legs! J
How much does it cost?During the 40 years these people have been in business they seem to have learned the value of price differentiation. It costs around £10 in the UK and according to two of my Kiwi friends it is 3 times as expensive in New Zealand
Can I see any drawbacks?We have had Sophie in the house for 6 hours now and my son is already addicted to it! At an age where he does not yet have the motor skills to keep the sound going for very long I have ended up squeezing the giraffe for him for almost an hour now – high risk for tendonitis!

Ingen kommentarer:

Legg inn en kommentar